This article is part 2 of a 4 part series entitled, ’101 Lifestyle Tips For Losing Weight’.
Forget crash diets, to lose weight and keep the weight off you need a change in lifestyle. More importantly, you need to make changes that don’t disrupt your lifestyle too much otherwise you’ll eventually drop them and revert back to your old ways.
I hope you found some useful tips in part 1 that you feel you can use and more importantly, stick to. Remember, these tips aren’t worth dime unless you actually put them into action.
Anyway, onwards we go with my next 25 weight loss tips for you, enjoy!
26. Find a workout buddy – One of the best ways to experience consistent weight loss is to find someone who is willing to go on the journey with you. You can support each other throughout the process…workout together, plans meals together, and motivate each other to push forward no matter how difficult the journey becomes. Find a workout buddy and get to work!
27. Wear a pedometer – A pedometer is a tiny device that registers each step you take throughout the day. Wearing one on daily basis will help you keep track of just how much you move around on a regular basis. Once you see your weekly average, try adding 500 or even 1000 steps per day…this is an easy way to burn LOTS of extra calories. Try to better your weekly best and you will constantly be burning more and more calories and getting ever closer to your weight loss goal.
28. An apple a day can help keep the calories at bay – Apples are high in fiber which can help curb hunger and also contain pectin, another natural ingredient that can help stave off hunger as well.
29. Make dinner restaurant style – If you scoop your dinner from pots and pans, you are more likely to eat more. Instead, plate your food with appropriate portions and when you’re finished, don’t go for seconds.
30. Write down your goal weight – Sure, you may have your goal weight in your head, but to make the goal REALLY real, you should write it down. Look at it. Imagine in your mind actually being that weight. The more real it becomes to you, the more likely it is that you will reach it. Goals do not really become real until we write them down for the world to see.
31. Gradually increase the intensity of your workouts – Sure, we all want to see overnight results, but if you start hitting your exercise routine too intensely right off the bat, you might wind up staying overnight in the emergency room! It is important to start ANY exercise routine slowly and gradually build up intensity over time. You have to walk before you can run…literally.
32. Pass on the bottle, order a glass instead – A little wine when we dine is fine, but opt for a glass instead of the bottle. Sip it slowly as you eat your meal and you will help save quite a few calories than if you went for the bottle instead.
33. Get more blue! – No, I am not talking about getting depressed, I am actually talking about the color blue…as it turns out, the color blue is actually an appetite SUPPRESSANT! Believe it or not studies have shown that people eat less when in surroundings that are blue or after having looked at the color for an extended period of time. So, put some more blue in your life and get on the road to weight loss success!
34. Get rid of those fat clothes – If you are looking to lose weight, make sure to get rid of your fat clothes as you lose weight. This is especially important once you have reached your weight loss goal as it is more likely you will maintain your weight if you no longer have clothes that will fit if you gain it back!
35. Make your plate portion more reasonable – Studies have shown that we generally eat what is in front of us, so if you pile your plate full, you will eat a huge pile of food! Instead, focus on reasonable, smaller portions and once you are finished, don’t go back for seconds! Eat till you are satisfied, then quit!
36. Add a rainbow to your dinner plate – The more colors on your plate, the more likely it is that your meal is healthy AND low in calories. Green, red, and yellow vegetables should make up the largest portion along with a brown piece of meat. Focus on the rainbow if weight loss is your goal.
37. Make a mirror your dinner guest – One sneaky weight loss tip involves your bringing a mirror to dinner. (this works best at home for obvious reasons) Just bring a large mirror to the table and sit it in front of you. Watching yourself eat will usually make you eat less. Might seem a little weird, but if you’re looking to shed the pounds, this is a tip that can help make it happen!
38. Add an extra romp in the hay every week – Sex burns calories AND can reduce stress, so…if you and/or your partner are looking to lose a few extra pounds, tell them to do it for the cause!
39. Limit your intake of fruit juice – You would think that drinking fruit juice is a good thing, but getting too much of it can help you add more fat to your waistline. Fruit juice, even if 100% natural, contains a LOT of sugar. Even natural sugar, if we get too much of it, can help pack on the pounds. Try to stick mostly to water and if you do drink juice, limit yourself to just a glass or two per day.
40. Fiber up to feel more full – Eating more fiber not only helps your digestion system work better, it can also help you feel more full more quickly. Adding additional fiber to your diet will make you healthier and most likely lose more weight. Work to increase your fiber intake by 8-10 grams per day but be careful not to do it all at once as it can be rough on your stomach and digestive system.
41. If at all possible, eat your meals at home – Many studies have shown that when we eat at home, we eat much healthier. This is not to say that we prepare totally healthy foods, but it can be very difficult to get healthy, low calorie foods when you eat out. Fast food is an especially bad choice as it is usually laden with chemicals and WAY too many calories. Grab your meals at home if weight loss is your goal.
42. Try not to eat in a rush – Even if you’re hungry, SLOW DOWN. Eat slowly, take your time…the more slowly you eat, the more likely it is your brain will tell you your full BEFORE you’ve eaten too much.
43. Go organic whenever possible – If you’re trying to lose weight, then you might want to opt for organic foods. So many of the processed foods we eat contain so many chemicals to help keep them fresh and some of these chemicals can hamper your weight loss goals. Organic foods are WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET. Stick to natural foods with no preservatives and it will be easier for you to reach your weight loss goals.
44. When you are bored, exercise, don’t eat! – Many of us start stuffing food in our mouths when we are bored. It is incredibly common, but the next time you find yourself twiddling your thumbs, start doing some jumping jacks, or hit the floor and do some push-ups. Exercise when you’re bored and you will greatly increase the number of calories you burn each day.
45. Try to find a new exercise to do every week – One of the main reasons people cite when they stop working out is that they became bored. One way to fight this is to try a new exercise every week. Thanks to Google and sites like YouTube, it is incredibly easy to discover all kinds of new and interesting exercises to try. Pick a new one each week, fight exercise boredom, and lose more weight!
46. Make it a goal to try one new sport every month – If you are serious about losing weight, then you have to get serious about burning calories. Sure, hitting the gym will work, but trying out a new sport every so often is a great way to burn calories and have fun. Choose a new sport each month that you have never tried and give it a whirl. You just might find you have some hidden talents WHILE you are losing weight!
47. Focus on the positives of your goals, not the negatives of the process – In order to experience consistent weight loss, you need to focus on what is going right, not what is going wrong. So you didn’t lose 3 pounds this week, instead, focus on how well you did on your diet, or how well your clothes are fitting. If you constantly focus on the negative, you are more likely to stop making progress and eventually, you may stop trying to lose weight altogether.
48. Kick up bland food with spices such as hot sauce – It is very common to reach for the butter or creamy sauces to add flavor to foods, but just by sprinkling a few dashes of spices or hot sauce, we can not only make our foods taste better, but the heat in the spices will rev up our metabolism and help us lose weight! Hot sauces and spices are also low in calories, so turn up the heat, guilt free!
49. Take a workout break every two hours (or less) – one easy way to lose weight is to simply take small workout breaks throughout the day. Instead of sitting ALL DAY and then going to workout, try doing mini workouts every two hours (or less.) Just get up, and do 15minutes of body weight squats, jumping jacks, or pushups. When the day is over, you have burned tons of calories and your day will go by more quickly as well.
50. Do some spring cleaning (even if it isn’t spring) – Don’t think of mopping your floors as work, think of it as exercise! Mopping, sweeping, vacuuming all burns calories! Get to work and you will lose more weight as a result! If you are moving towards your weight loss goals, housework can seem less like a chore and more like a positive weight loss activity.and thereby reduce production of cortisol.
Part 3 to follow soon ………..
Part 3 is now published